Operating a forklift on an incline is one of the operations that has to be done very carefully, regardless of the driver's experience. If you are loading/unloading a truck container in uae, ensure you take safety steps or precaution during the loading/unloading process.
The important factor that a driver or an operator must know is the gradeability of the forklift.
Gradeability is the grade in which a forklift can climb and stop at full capacity.
You can calculate the gradeability of your forklift as shown below
When you have finally calculated the gradeability of your forklift ( the highest gradeability a forklift can have is 40% ) , make sure your keep the below points in mind when you operate it.
- Always carry a load with the forks pointed upward, to avoid the load falling off the forks.
- Do not steer suddenly to change directions.
- If the forklift is carrying no load make sure the forks are pointing downwards for better traction.
- Keep safe distance from the edge of the ramp (Always choose a ramp with side railing and CE certified ramps which follows all the safety measures)
- Always follow the instructions given by the forklift ramp manufacturers, since the ramp is designed with convenience and safety in mind. You don't want to push aside their recommendations.
- When getting down from the ramp, it is advised to get down in reverse.
- If you find any problems with the ramp, contact the experts for supervision immediately.
- Take assistance of a co-worker if the load is blocking the drivers view.
- Operate the forklift carefully and not in a hurry.
- Always choose a ramp with good wheels which can provide traction to avoid any kind of slipping, which saves both time and fuel.
- Always choose a slope the experts recommend, since they recommend a ramp with a specific slope only after careful analysis of your operations and gradeability in mind.
- Always choose a ramp which is durable and safe, so that your employee can work with a peace of mind, rather than opt for cheaper alternative, which may or may not breakdown and cause accidents in the long run.
- Do not under any circumstance follow the ramp up the slope.
- If you are planning to load or unload many trucks then use mobile yard ramp or forklift ramp.
We have more than 15 versions of forklift ramps, if you want to seek advice for selecting best ramp for your needs then contact one of the sales representative for more details.